Monday, September 22, 2008

Bedtime stories....

I have been pretty lucky to have 3 children that go to sleep pretty well. That doesn't mean they stay asleep all night (Ivy) but at least its not a crazy battle all night long. I watch some of those nanny shows and the trouble some people go through to get their kids in bed makes me very grateful for my kids. Some nights don't always go as smoothly though......

T'was the night before monday
when all through the house
bedtime was coming
I had a sick spouse

The bedtime routine is much harder with one
with 3 kids theres so much that needs to be done

The children were grumpy as I took them to bed
each one insisted a book to be read
as I sat down to read to my oldest child
the youngest decided to scream and go wild

I'll be right back, just you wait right here
your book will be read you have nothing to fear

I ran to the baby as quick as a flash
picked him up in my arms as he burped with a splash
To the bedroom I went to change my clothes quick
As my middle child yells, the mother books what I pick

I'll be right there, I promise I will
why does my husband have to be so ill?

I return to the baby to see that he's fine
head down the hall to the oldest of mine
When what to my exhausted eyes do I see
He's sleeping so soundly like a child should be
I bent down and kissed him on his forehead goodnight
pulled up his covers, tucked him in just right

Last but not least to my middle child I fled
where she too was sleeping so soundly in bed
I leaned in to whisper with a hug and a kiss
I'm sorry to say the mother book I did miss.

I explained to myself as I turned out the light
Tomorrow will hopefully be a much better night.

I really was a little sad to not get to read to my kids, even though I did go to sleep without Are you my mother? and Mickey Mouse Are we there yet? running through my head all night long. Those are the 2 books I have to read to Ivy EVERY night. Her cute face is so hard to say no to when she looks at me and smiles "will you read the mother book?"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

i'm sorry josh was sick, but sounds like you handled it. good kids skip a generation you know. i love love love that picture of kohen!

Elise said...

Josie! I'm so glad you found my blog! Your kids are adorable and I love your TH must-go's!
Did you write that poem, wow, impressive!
Hope Josh feels better soon, 3 on 1 just isn't fair! Good luck!

Lindell said...

I LOVED that poem :)

The mother book is Gigi's favorite book too.

Kohen is gorgeous!

Ben said...

I LOVED that poem! It made me laugh - I totally know what you mean, getting everyone to bed on time is like hearding cats. Everybody goes in a different direction...
I am going to be singing that poem in my head tonight when I am trying to get everybody settled in! I hope Josh is feeling better...